*before we even get started with this post, we have to give you an obligatory disclosure: hailey works at a PR firm in the digital media department.. if you know where she works, great. if you don't know where she works, even better. for all intents and purposes, it doesn't really matter.
The SmartBlog on Social Media postured: "Do you really need a social media strategy?" in their weekly reader poll. (You can read the results here.) It seems in recent months, that there has been this on-going debate that is starting to bubble to the surface about the merits of social media strategy. Do you need it? How do you do it? Where do you participate? Is it right for my company/brand/cause/product?
This is my answer: yes.
(Continued after the jump.)
hot of the presses is the august/september issue of lonny mag - one of our all time favorite design mags.
recently, we've been circling around the idea of a curated life. we've been known to remind friends moving into their first apartments/houses that "life is a collection." this sentiment is actually part of what went into naming this blog. the things around you, at least in our decorating philosophy, are parts of memories. the people in your life you've collected and are a part of your life - that you have curated for yourself.
we prefer to decorate with items that have memories attached to them, and that are a little quirky. what you surround yourself with should be an extension of yourself, your personality, what you are passionate about, what you love.
so, with that philosophy in mind, we were happy to see a lonny full of personalized collections. sure, you could arbitrarily "get the look" in any of the photos in lonny, as well as any other interior decorating mag, or just any picture - it's easy to break it apart and go buy similar pieces. but we think it's so much more satisfying to bring a collection together. and sometimes you don't even realize you have a collection until you are inspired to mimic what is strewn on the pages of your favorite magazine.
today, urban outfitters launched their jewelry studio with heavy weights (and herlongwayhome favorites) like lizzie fortunato (who designed lower priced items for UO like this bracelet), archive jewelry, and sabrina dehoff.
ah yes, summer has officially arrived - and today is the longest day of the year, so this post is short and sweet so we can get back outside and enjoy these last few hours of sunlight before the days start getting shorter again.
oh how we will miss the 9 pm dusk.
when we think of summer, we think of these miniature vintage repro postcards we had from a trip to hawaii in high school. though we've been known to save everything, these didn't make it, but we did find a few online that were similar if not identical.
summer means that everything slows down just a little; the heat gets stuck beneath the trees; you sweat outside at midnight; you jump in a pool by moonlight; great music; all around fun.
what do you think of when you think about summer? what are your summer plans?
if you aren't from northern new jersey you might be interested to know that there are no country radio stations here, and it feels almost like it's a faux pas to enjoy country music. we've been mocked by many people for enjoying the twangy stylings of people like keith urban, kenny chesney, brad paisley, dierks, and sugarland. but we love them anyway. and we tend to think everyone is missing out if they 1. haven't been to a country concert 2. have never tailgated at a country concert with cornhole, blaring country music, and pick up trucks, shitkickers, and cowboy hats and finally, 3. don't enjoy country.
so we are always very excited when country musicians come to town - tonight we're going to be seeing the legendary classic rock band the eagles, with opening acts dixie chicks (who haven't been on stage together in something like 4 years) and keith urban (whom we love love love).
follow us on twitter for updates throughout the night!
here's a few videos of our favorite songs from the eagles, keith urban, and the dixie chicks - enjoy!
we love pink. well. sometimes we love pink. it fulfills the three f's that we think are essential to creating your home - well, when you're single - flirty, feminine, and fun. (we also clothing shop with the same criteria.)
today, on design sponge there is a great with UK stylist, selena lake.
our friend, meghan (whose blog you should read) said the other day "the blogosphere is a small world, play nice in the sandbox." (she may have said the internet is a small world, but for this blogosphere is appropriate.)
and we couldn't agree more.
there is a long story that goes with this idea of playing nice in the blogosphere, which we've written and rewritten, and ultimately decided that it's not really that important to give the back story. but it boils down to this - we should all blog with integrity, cite our sources, and give credit where credit is due. we should play just as nice in this space as we do out in our every day world. we should be polite - to readers, other bloggers, or PR people who approach us.
and hey - it's the blogosphere. it's circular. what goes around comes around. what is said once is repeated.
by now, you must know the love we have for jenna lyons. she does no wrong. jcrew does no wrong. and we like to absorb everything she has to say (kind of like kelly cutrone, to whom we lovingly refer as "kcut," but that is another post entirely).
we bring this jenna lyons sighting to you from elle decor who tells us that the ever chic and inspiring jenna lyons has "never met a sequin she didn't like."
these are the 12 things that our "j.crew trendsetter" can't live without - all images from here
1. a lucite chair. lyons has one at her desk - HLWH recommends this one it's a different shape, but it captures the funky-yet-glam nature of lyons' chair. throw a bold printed cushion on it and we think that you'll be feeling chic as ever.
2. nars lip pencil in red square because it's "not too blue." j.crew uses this color on their shoots- though we wish they would come up with their own makeup line this will do for now. Especially since we love love love nars. snag yours here.
3. the fleshy tones in jenna's fred sandback drawing capture the season's neutral trend. the simplicity seems so natural and so beautiful this time of year. we're pretty sure that it would feel just as gorg. in the fall..or winter! maybe a little diy painting?
5. we must admit, the silver vases from asiter de villatte are pretty awesome - they look like cans with their labels peeled off. though it just seems like one of those things we tell ourselves we could 'diy,' we'd check out etsy first to find something similar that captures the same sparkling lightness.
6. one of lyons' must haves is her Leica camera (limited ed, of course, and from japan). for a camera with a vintage vibe, check out urban outfitters' cameras, or use this quick search on etsy.
7. miriam haskell. vintage. you can't go wrong. a google search turned up a few vintage items, but HLWH recommends visiting j.crew to see some inspired (and inspiring) pieces with a similar vibe.
8. we can't guide you on jenna's shoe collection, other than to a. buy what fits b. buy what you absolutely love c. take very good care of them d. keep them organized and e. remember it takes a lifetime to amass a shoe collection like that.
9. another thing we can't really help you with. vintage mercedes. you could buy a toy one. or visit post-war classic cars if you're seriously considering purchasing one. and if you do, you owe us a ride.
10. jenna loves the beach. have to admit it's calming. so long as you aren't visiting the jersey shore (think: fist pumps for everyone!...PS we can hate on the jersey shore, we're from jersey ;) )
11. arists jenna can't live without (some are on display in the guggenheim if you're in the nyc area): cy twombly, robert ryman, elizabeth peyton, or jenny saville.
12. sequins! jenna's last must have is sequins! and we often see her rocking them. HLWH recommends j.crew (duh) for some of the shiny stuff, as well as bloomgindale's or even forever 21.
what do you think of jenna lyons' must haves from elle decor?